TUTTA L' EUROPA PER SALVARE IL VAL DI NOTO!!!

DIFFONDI QUESTA EMAIL A TEMPESTA!!!

CONTRIBUIRAI COSI'A SALVARE IL VAL DI NOTO DALLE TRIVELLE IDROCARBURICHE!!

L'ARTICOLO DI CAMILLERI SU LA REPUBBLICA TRASFORMA IN CASO INTERNAZIONALE
IL PROBLEMA DELLE TRIVELLAZIONI GAS-PETROLIFERE NEL TERRITORIO DOVE
RICADONO I SITI UNESCO: IL VAL DI NOTO!!!

Times e Guardian rilanciano l'appello di Camilleri contro le trivellazioni
nel sito protetto dall'Unesco
Anche Le Monde di Parigi pubblicherà la lettera di Camilleri!

 <http://www.repubblica.it/interstitial/interstitial883577.html>I giornali
inglesi per Val di Noto!!!

PETIZIONE: siamo già a 35.000 firme

<http://www.repubblica.it/speciale/2007/appelli/val_di_noto/index.html>FIRMA
ANCHE TU L'APPELLO
<http://tv.repubblica.it/home_page.php?playmode=launch&cont_id=3528>VIDEO,
FOTO, INTERVENTI: MINACCIA PETROLIO

VEDETE ANCHE QUESTO PEZZO!!

<http://www.repubblica.it/2007/06/sezioni/cronaca/camilleri-noto/stampa-straniera/stampa-straniera.html>http://www.repubblica.it/2007/06/sezioni/cronaca/camilleri-noto/stampa-straniera/stampa-straniera.html

SE QUALCUNO TRADUCE IL PEZZO SOTTO E LO RINVIA AL COMITATO VINCERà IL PREMIO

"CONTRIBUISCO A SALVARE IL VAL DI NOTO"...

From The Times - LONDON

June 8, 2007

Jewel of a cathedral faces new threat

after tycoon is allowed to drill for oil

Richard Owen in Rome

The cathedral known as the “jewel of European Baroque”, rebuilt
painstakingly after an earthquake, is at risk from oil drilling off the
coast of Sicily.

The 18th-century cathedral at Noto, on the southeast coast of Sicily, is to
reopen this month after a decade of restoration at a cost of £17 million.
The dome collapsed into the nave in 1996 because of failure to repair
cracks caused by an earlier earthquake. The restoration is hailed as a
“Baroque rebirth”.

Noto was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 2000. However, Panther
Oil, owned by the Texan oil baron James Smitherman III, has been given
permission by the Sicilian regional authority to prospect for petroleum and
natural gas in a 764sq km (295sq mile) area, to the anger of local
campaigners.

One of the most vociferous is Andrea Camilleri — the detective writer
gaining a worldwide audience for his Inspector Montalbano mysteries. “How
would the people of Rome feel if oil rigs were allowed at the Colosseum, or
the people of Venice if nodding donkeys appeared in St Mark’s Square?” Mr
Camilleri said in a front-page appeal in La Repubblica.

Corrado Valvo, the Mayor, said that the glories of Noto — a town built in
the Baroque style after a devastating earthquake in 1693, when Sicily was
under Spanish rule — were incomparable. “We have not only Baroque
architecture but also nature reserves, ancient necropolises, Roman mosaics,
superb olive oil and wines, almond trees and citrus fruits,” he said.

Enzo Moscuzza, a protest leader, said: “The damage to Noto’s image has
already been done. People have made huge investments here in vineyards and
organic farming — now it is all in jeopardy.”

“This land must not be profaned,” the Bishop of Noto, Monsignor Giuseppe
Malandrino, declared. “We have slept for centuries, but we have finally
woken up. We must protect the blessings the Lord has given us.”

The decision to allow drilling reverses a move two years ago by Fabio
Granata, then in charge of culture, to stop the project after initial
soundings began in 2004.

Nicola Piazza, Panther Oil’s representative in Italy, said that Italian
companies were already active in Sicily, where 10 per cent of Italian oil
is refined. Panther co-operated fully with archaeologists and
conservationists and had promised to give 7 per cent of profits for local
infrastructure, he said. Mr Smitherman said that the company was interested
mainly in methane gas. The project posed “no risk to the Unesco heritage
sites”, he said. “We are only drilling on land used for grazing.”

Nello de Pasquale, the Mayor of nearby Ragusa, who favours the drilling,
said that it would create badly needed employment. “We have had oil wells
in Sicily for half a century and they have never caused pollution,” he said.

However, thousands of local people have demonstrated against the decision.
Mr Camilleri said that the go-ahead followed “typically Italian
behind-the-scenes political manoeuvring, in which the economically
strongest have prevailed over those who value the environment”. The oilmen
had been given “carte blanche to destroy everything that is best about
Sicily for the sake of a moneymaking operation that will make a few people
rich”, he said. The move was a “mortal blow” to tourism just as it had
begun to revive after the cathedral’s restoration.

Mr Granata — now Deputy Mayor of Siracusa — said: “This is not just about
safeguarding monuments and the landscape. Outside economic interests are
imposing a model of industrial development on us which is at odds with our
aims in tourism and culture.”

 WOW!!!

COMITATO NO-TRIV
<http://www.notriv.it>www.notriv.it