Exposing the diabolical tactics of Western imperialism (Fwd) Pambazuka News 599:

------- Segue messaggio inoltrato -------

Data invio:       	Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:18:31 +0300
Oggetto:          	Pambazuka News 599: Exposing the diabolical tactics of
Western
	imperialism
Da:               	Pambazuka Editor <editor at pambazuka.org>
A:                	pambazuka-news <pambazuka-news at pambazuka.gn.apc.org>
Invia risposta a: 	editor at pambazuka.org
	social justice in Africa providing cutting edge commentary and
	in-depth analysis on politics and current affairs, development,
	human rights, refugees,
	gender issues and culture in Africa. Published by Fahamu:
	http://www.fahamu.org/. View online at http://www.pambazuka.org/";
	<pambazuka-news.pambazuka.gn.apc.org>
	<mailto:pambazuka-news-
request at pambazuka.gn.apc.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:pambazuka-news-
request at pambazuka.gn.apc.org?subject=subscribe>

[ Fai doppio clic qui per le opzioni di iscrizione ]

PAMBAZUKA NEWS 599: EXPOSING THE DIABOLICAL TACTICS OF WESTERN
IMPERIALISM

The authoritative electronic weekly newsletter and platform for social
justice in Africa

Pambazuka News is delivered free to you with the support of donations
from Friends of Pambazuka.

KEEP PAMBAZUKA FREE AND INDEPENDENT! BECOME A FRIEND OF PAMBAZUKA
NOW!
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/friends.php

Follow Pambazuka @pambazuka

Pambazuka News (English edition): ISSN 1753-6839

CONTENTS: 1. Features, 2. Comment & analysis, 3. Advocacy & campaigns,
4. Letters & Opinions, 5. African Writers' Corner

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
1 Features

HUMAN RIGHTS AND HUMANITARIAN IMPERIALISM IN SYRIA
A view from an African American human rights defender
Ajamu Baraka

Syria is just the latest in a long line of international crimes
perpetrated by Western powers. But what makes the crimes in Syria, as
those in Libya, even more offensive, is the cynical use of human
rights to advance the diabolical interests of Western imperialism.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84369
******

DEVALUATION OF THE US DOLLAR: QUANTITATIVE EASING 3
Implications for economies of the global South
Horace Campbell

Propping up the US financial system is a clever ploy that vests power
in the top one per cent globally, with dire consequences on commodity
prices and forward planning. The peoples of Africa and the global
South must adopt measures to respond to this cascading economic and
political maelstrom.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84372
******

RHETORIC AND REALITY OF AFRICOM: LESSONS FROM MALI
Abena Ampofoa Asare

What is the value of America's military and humanitarian
interventions? Just look at Mali: Its shattered democracy and roving
rebel groups are a troubling picture of an AFRICOM partner state.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84373
******

MELES ZENAWI: A LEGACY OF 'SHEER FORCE AND TERROR'
Melakou Tegegn

Ethiopian prime minister Meles Zenawi died in August after ruling the
country from 1995 to 2012. Contrary to regime claims of economic
development, he will be remembered for crushing all dissent to his
rule.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84341
******

SOUTH AFRICAN PROTEST POLITICS: THE CASE OF SWEET HOME
Jared Sacks

For much of this winter, communities in shack settlements across Cape
Town have taken to the streets in some of the most active civil
disobedience protests since 1994.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84370
******

WHY MUSLIM ANGER AGAINST AMERICA PERSISTS
Abdulrazaq Magaji

It is easy to condemn violent protests by angry Muslims, but often
nothing is said to those who provoke these reactions by denigrating
the sacred beliefs of others. They are thought to be exercising their
freedom of speech.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84374
******

BIKO: A BRIGHT GUIDING LIGHT IN DARK TIMES
Address by the Anglican Bishop of Natal at St Philip's Anglican
Church, Fingo Village in Grahamstown, 19 September 2012.
Rubin Phillip

He was willing to pay the price that always comes with the courage to
confront oppression. That is the meaning of standing with the poor.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84390
******

FORWARD TO EMANCIPATION-FROM-BELOW IN THE CARIBBEAN
Network for Pan-Afrikan Solidarity

'In our struggle to give concrete form to Pan-Afrikanism, it is clear
that we must continue and advance our anti-oppressive struggles with
an understanding that the union of Afrikan people worldwide is an
emancipation-from-below project.'
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84368
******

THE SINGULAR STORY OF THE CUBAN FIVE
Daisy Diaz

Five Cuban men were arrested in Miami, Florida in September, 1998, and
charged with 26 counts of violating the federal laws of the United
States. Most of the counts were minor and technical offenses, such as
the use of false names and failure to register as foreign agents. None
of the charges involved violence in the US, the use of weapons, or
property damage.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84340
******

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
2 Comment & analysis

THE UN REPORT ON DR CONGO: A RESPONSE FROM RWANDAN SCHOLARS

It is regrettable that in the past decade, the so-called international
community appears to have made a sport of blaming Rwanda, a tiny
country of less than twelve million people, for every unrest
experienced in Africa's largest country - in terms of land mass - the
Democratic Republic of Congo, a nation of over 70 million inhabitants.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/comment/84389
******

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
3 Advocacy & campaigns

THREE YEARS AFTER ATTACK WE REMAIN HOMELESS
Abahlali baseMjondolo

'Today is the third year of our homelessness. We had humble homes but
were made homeless by the ruling party.'
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/advocacy/84395
******

GATES FOUNDATION-LED GREEN REVOLUTION PROMOTES FALSE SOLUTIONS TO
HUNGER IN AFRICA
Friends of the Earth International

Friends of the Earth International warns against damaging industrial
farming promoted by the Gates Foundation at the Agricultural Green
Revolution Forum 2012, Arusha, Tanzania on 26-28 September.
******

FOEI CHAIR NNIMMO BASSEY TO BE AWARDED 2012 RAFTO PRIZE
Friends of the Earth International

The award is in recognition of his long-term fight for people's rights
to life, health, food and water in a world affected by climate change
and mass environmental destruction.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/advocacy/84383
******

WE WILL MARCH ON THE MAYOR AND PREMIER ON 1 OCTOBER
Sweet Home Farm Residents Committee

'We are demanding that government deliver on their promises and treat
us as human beings with dignity.'
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/advocacy/84391
******

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
4 Letters & Opinions

ZUMA CHARTERISTS LIKE HITLER NAZISTS? NO WAY
MP Khwezi ka Ceza

'Racial quotas are hateful'. So says Sunday Times columnist Stephen
Mulholland. I don't agree. It is an undeniable truth that race and
political affiliation rank above ability in the current dispensation.
However, Mulholland cunningly equates Black Economic Empowerment (BEE)
and Affirmative Action with Nazism and apartheid. It is devoid of any
facts. Woolworths is driving a programme adhering to the country's
labour legislations. It is geared towards addressing the inherent
socio-economic inequalities of the past. BEE is not a law that was
designated for oppression. Rather, one for balancing the scale.
Apartheid had its affirmative action for whites. This one is to
redress such imbalances. It could lend itself to abuse by our
political demagogues. In some instances it has degenerated to an STD
(Sexually Transmitted Disease) by some public representatives and the
ruling party elites.

Comrade Umshini Wam infamously declared most recently to the DA
speaker: '..you have more rights because you're a majority. That's how
democracy works.' The remark questioned his understanding of
constitutional democracy. Again, attempting to bring in another
notorious spokesperson in the form of Jimmy Manyi, Mulholland
fraudulently attempts to equate the plight of the Coloured people to
the economic hegemony of the Jews the world over. Since history has
always been written by the victors, there has always been a
conspicuous effort to erase Africa in the discourse on civilization.
As if it is only the preserve of Europe. Therefore we also owe it to
ourselves to change his/herstory to be ourstory.

In the post-1994 dispensation, it is easy for privileged Mulhollands
to point fingers at our broken education system, festering hospitals,
rape of the defence budget, corrupt tenders and so on, as they
remember their formerly legalized racial superiority, despite having
lost nothing under the democratically elected regime. It is worth
reminding such people that none from the down-trodden South African
approves of cronyism, corruption and other shortcomings of the
government. The question that begs an answer should be how to review
these legislations to benefit all of us equally. Racial quotas,
according to his own definition, were not meant to perpetrate crimes
against humanity or for genocidal purposes.

As seen in Palestinians at the hands of the Jewish settlers who
arrived a couple of decades ago. In contrast, the indigenous South
Africans demonstrated their humane side by not chasing Mulholland and
such melamin neither challenged nor orchestrated any mass killings
against them. This is despite them having colonized us for more than
three centuries. Yet you have people like him having the audacity to
judge our country against Hitler's Nazi regime.

*MP Khwezi ka Ceza is a freelance journalist and an independent
political economist
******

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
5 African Writers' Corner

TRAGIC CALLED THE KID
Amira Ali

How do you holler
And not be heard
A fury of injustice
That has numbed us stern

Fury killed a dream
Killed the kid
Who dreams football on streets
Caught in the axis
Tragedy and injustice

To the world
Ain't nothin' but a thing
Call it an -ism
Euphemism has a name for it
Collateral damage
Isn't that what they call it?

An explicit offense
Made inoffensive
Tragic called the kid
Dream gunned on the street
Football
His dream
His defense
For street dreams

For the explicit offender
The dream
Dealt on a kid
Dealt on misdeed
Unnamed coffin
That was the end of the kid

The world should be
On bended knees
Crying out life
How hollow is the prize
Dealt on a kid
Living on
Dreams...
Football...
Streets...

(c) afrodisiatic expression
******

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

Fahamu - Networks For Social Justice
http://www.fahamu.org

Pambazuka News is published by Fahamu Ltd.

(c) Unless otherwise indicated, all materials published are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
3.0 Unported License. For further details see:
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/about.php

Pambazuka news can be viewed online: English language edition (
http://www.pambazuka.org/en )
Edicao em lingua Portuguesa ( http://www.pambazuka.org/pt )
Edition francaise ( http://www.pambazuka.org/fr )
RSS Feeds available at http://www.pambazuka.org/en/newsfeed.php

Pambazuka News is published with the support of a number of funders,
details of which can be obtained here (
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/about.php ) .

To SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE go to:
or send a message to editor at pambazuka.org with the word SUBSCRIBE or
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line as appropriate.

The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not
necessarily represent those of Pambazuka News or Fahamu.

With around 2,600 contributors and an estimated 600,000 readers,
Pambazuka News is the authoritative pan-African electronic weekly
newsletter and platform for social justice in Africa providing cutting
edge commentary and in-depth analysis on politics and current affairs,
development, human rights, refugees, gender issues and culture in
Africa.

Order cutting-edge climate titles from Pambazuka Press:

'Earth Grab: Geopiracy, the New Biomassters and Capturing Climate
Genes ( http://fahamubooks.org/book/?GCOI=90638100969040 ) ' - OUT NOW

To Cook a Continent: Destructive Extraction and the Climate Crisis in
Africa ( http://fahamubooks.org/book/?GCOI=90638100628980 ) - OUT NOW

* Pambazuka News is on Twitter. By following '@pambazuka' on
Twitter you can receive headlines from our 'Features' and 'Comment &
Analysis' sections as they are published, and can even receive our
headlines via SMS. Visit our Twitter page for more information:
http://twitter.com/pambazuka.

* Pambazuka News has a Del.icio.us ( http://Del.icio.us/ ) page, where
you can view the various websites that we visit to keep our fingers on
the pulse of Africa! Visit http://delicious.com/pambazuka_news.

------- Fine del messaggio inoltrato -------

.
---  from : jure ellero <glry at ngi.it>

NOTIZIE SIRIA-LIBIA:
http://www.sibialiria.org

RESISTENZA PARTIGIANA - un nuovo portale:
http://www.diecifebbraio.info

Indirizzo Comunisti Uniti Friuli-V.G.:
<comunistiunitifvg at yahoo.it>
Sito nazionale Comunisti Uniti: