Kenya's J&P Commission

ANB-BIA
BRUSSELS, 12 SEPT 2000

We have just received the following Press Release from Kenya's Catholic
Justice and Peace Commission, concerning the killing of priests and
religious in Kenya.
Paolo - anb-bia
****************************

Catholic Justice and Peace Commission of KENYA
Nairobi, 7 Sept 2000

                                 P R E S S     R E L E A S E
                                ===========================

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed
by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve
what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2.

We the Catholic Justice and Peace Commissioners representing 24 Catholic
dioceses in Kenya with a population of not less than 8 million Catholics,
wish to express our deep concern on the brutal killings of our Priests and
other Religious people, who have offered their entire lives to the service
of God and His people in Kenya.

In recent years, we have experienced the brutal murders of Fr. Stallone,
Fr. Graife and Fr. Luigi Andeni all of Marsabit diocese. We have further
experienced the murder of Brother Larry Timons of Nakuru diocese and that
of Fr. Martin Boyle of Eldoret diocese.

What is shocking is that all these killings have not been explained yet,
and the perpetrators have all along, gone scot free.

On the 24th August, 2000, we yet again lost another humble servant of God -
Fr. John Anthony Kaiser of Lorgorian Parish, Ngong diocese. Fr. Kaiser
tirelessly advocated for the Rights and values of humanity, for our people
in different parts of Kenya. He defended justice, truth and fairness.
Like St. John the Baptist, who was beheaded to silence the voice of reason,
Fr. Kaiser found his head shattered in pieces by the cruel assassin's bullets.

It is no secret that Fr. Kaiser has been a thorn in the flesh of some
senior Kenya government officials and Ministers, for his incessant crusade
against social injustices. These include the infamous tribal clashes, where
he painfully suffered for his protection of the internally displaced
victims of Maela, Gucha and Transmara.

Fr. Kaiser fearlessly advocated against land grabbing by the same "mighty
and powerful". Sadly enough, he was also pitted against the same forces
especially in his defense against defilement and rape of girls and young
women in Transmara.

We affirm our strong believe that Fr. Kaiser was ordained, anointed and
lived the gospel values. "I have come to proclaim the good news, to the
poor, bring liberty to the captives and to announce the day of the Lord"
(Luke 4:17).

While we cautiously appreciate the on-going joint CID/FBI investigation
into the murder, we strongly doubt the seriousness of the Kenyan
government, especially in the absence of an official government statement:
let alone a message of condolence to his family and friends. The
government's reaction, cover-ups of the past such killings and the reckless
utterances by some senior government officials and Ministers, compounds our
doubts.

To the American government, we support your initiative of sending FBI
investigators to assist in the unearthing of this sad and mysterious murder.

However, to us, Fr. Kaiser was not just an American citizen. He was also a
Kenyan, having served Kenyans for 36 years. We can only therefore, hope and
expect that the interests of the U.S government in this murder do not
supersede what Kenyans are badly yearning for i.e. Truth and Justice.

For those who murdered Fr. Kaiser, we pray for your forgiveness but
remember, the blood of your innocent victim will haunt your conscience
forever. Please come forward and repent.

While we mourn the demise of our fallen hero of justice and human rights,
with his family members and parishioners, with his friends and co-workers,
with the people he defended and tirelessly worked for, we want to assure
them that the spirit of Fr. Kaiser lives on! If the intention of his
beastly murder was to intimidate and instill fear in us, then rest assured
that in the name of God, we are neither intimidated nor cowed.
In fact, our commitment and cause for justice has been strengthened more
than before, for we do not fear those who kill the body, but the one who
has the power over heaven and earth. Luke 12:4-5.
  To all Kenyans and persons of good will, we ask you to forward any useful
information to the CID and FBI investigators or in confidence to all
Justice and Peace Commission offices countrywide.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs
is the kingdom of heaven." Matt: 5:10.

Date: 7/9/2000

Dispatched by ANB-BIA, Brussels, 12 Sept 2000